Tuesday 2 August 2011

Out into the fresh air.


For some time now I have been planning a long bike ride, so Friday, I went on to Map My Ride and worked out a suitable route from the house. The bike ride turned out to be 32 miles, Mostly flat along the coast road at the start, then some serious hills.
The start of the ride went past Pevensey Castle and then on across the marshes to the beach at Normans Bay. I started the ride at 0715 in the morning so the road was nice and quiet. After the ride along the sea front I was back on to the main road, the congested A259, very noisy after the beach road. I turned left at the first set of traffic lights and started the climb up Harvey Shute road to the roundabout, I did walk the first twenty meters. Here I turned left on to Crowhurst Road which becomes Queensway all the way up to the Ridge Way, the A2100. It was bottom gear and three miles an hour for the those three miles. At the top of the hill I turned left on to the A2100 and headed along the Ridge Way to Battle. This was the best part of the ride as it was either flat or slightly downhill all the way, I managed to get up to 38 MPH on parts of the stretch, I chickened out trying to ride faster. I cycled through Battle and took the A271, past Ashburnham place and on down the, bumpy in places, A271 to the junction of the A269. I turned right here and headed up the hill to Borham. Recovering from the climb up Borham Hill I was ready for the run to the junction with Wartling road and the downhill run to the flat marsh road and back to Pevensey. All together the ride took me just over two hours.
After the ride I baked some baguetts for sandwiches. I was exhausted for the rest of the day and went to bed early, what a luxury.
Sunday after church we picked the apples from the tree in the back garden then I spent the rest of the day coring and peeling them ready for freezing. We have so many apples that we have had to bring forward the purchase of an additional under counter freezer and I will probably be doing this till the end of the week, at least we will now have room for all the cherries we picked last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment